Fire Damage Repair Expert Guide – Planning for a Home Fire
The fire damage repair professionals at Paul Davis know how serious home fires are. Not only can home fires ruin your home and personal belongings, but they are emotionally unsettling and make you feel insecure. Fires can happen in a matter of minutes and can be caused by a number of variables, and they can be out of your control like natural disasters or your neighbor’s house being on fire. Yet, there are some precautions you can implement to minimize the dangers of a home fire in your residence.
The Importance of Fire Escape Plans
All home fires aren’t stoppable and there’s only so much you can do. That is why it’s of the utmost importance to have safety strategies in place. Smoke alarms and fire extinguishers are necessary, and always check that you have the correct number to accommodate your residence. But you should think about using smoke alarms that can catch smoke from electrical fires, because damaged wiring is one of the main causes of home fires. When there are children in the home, you’ll want to train them on what the smoke alarm sounds like and what to do when one goes off.
Then get your fire escape program in order. Everyone in the property should know two ways to escape from every room and where to congregate outside when a fire occurs. Also, make sure that everyone knows how to call 911 in the case of an emergency.
Something else you need to do is protect your important things like birth certificates, passports and photographs. You can create digital replicas and store them into cloud storage as a backup, and you can purchase a fire safe box to keep the hard copies safe too. Finally, make a record of all your personal belongings for insurance reasons in the event they’re burned up by the flames.
To Minimize the Dangers of a Fire in Your Residence Perform These Measures
Here are some aspects to keep in mind so you can minimize the perils and hazards that are connected with home fires:
- Cooking: It’s essential to be conscientious in the kitchen and to not leave food being cooked alone. Always have somebody there to watch what’s going on.
- Appliances and Electrical: Shredded cords and broken plugs could easily produce a home fire, so make sure to check your appliances routinely for any problems. Additionally, keep an eye on the switches for your lights because if they’re hot, they need to be changed.
- Portable Heaters: It’s very important to relocate any combustible or flammable objects at least three feet from a portable heater. In addition, you’ll need your space heater to have a control mechanism too and other features for safety such as shutting off when the heater falls over.
- Fireplaces: Creosote is highly combustible and it forms in your fireplace after it’s been used, so always get your fireplace cleaned routinely. Obtaining a big, durable screen is also essential to prevent sparks from flying into the room and log rollovers.
- Children: Store any lighters or matches in an area that is out of sight and out of reach from children to avoid their inquisitive nature from starting a fire. Teach your children that fire is not something to play with too.
- Smoking: Cigars and cigarettes are serious fire hazards, and smoking outside is the perfect method to prevent a home fire. When you smoke inside, see that you have deep ashtrays and that under any situation you don’t smoke in bed or while you’re drowsy. Also, not under any situation should you smoke inside when someone in the home is using oxygen because this is very explosive.
If You Need Fire Damage Repair Services – Get in Touch with Paul Davis for High-Quality Help Now
Home fires can occur, whether it’s something completely out of your power or a mishap, Paul Davis is here to lend a helping hand. Our fire damage repair services can restore your property back to a habitable condition again. Get in touch with us at 888-473-7669 and a franchise near your location will be there to help.