Combating Black Mold

Every homeowner fears black mold, but what is it? Black mold (also known as Stachybotrys) likes to grow in moist environments and is most commonly found in areas where condensation has collected or near untreated puddles inside. Spores enter the home by doors, small entrances and can also be brought in on personal items and clothing. While most fungus around your home aren’t dangerous, black mold causes illness after long term exposure.

Black Mold Poisoning

Black mold is a poisonous species of fungus with airborne toxins. Symptoms include chronic coughing, irritation to the eyes, mucus membranes of the nose and throat and rashes. Additionally, chronic fatigue and persistent headaches can all be symptomatic of black mold exposure or black mold poisoning. Particularly severe occasions of long-term exposure to black mold can be more dangerous. Paired with an allergy to the black mold spores, these symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and nose.

Information about Mold

Black mold grows quickly, so you should never delay calling a professional to inspect for mold infestation. They can go ignored for weeks, and then spring up practically overnight.

Once mold creates colonies in your living space, it quickly breeds and releases toxins that make life miserable for residents:

  • Mold emits a strong, mildewed scent that stops rooms from smelling clean.
  • Mold causes serious problems for allergy-sensitive people, as well as those with asthma, causing a physical reaction.
  • Mold can cause coughing, wheezing, chest tightness, and trouble breathing.
  • Mold toxins can cause long-lasting inflammation and constant cold-like symptoms.
  • Individuals with compromised immune systems can get systemic infections of the lungs, skin, or digestive tract.
  • In rare instances, mold toxins can cause neurological problems or even death.
  • The more prolonged the exposure, the greater the danger.

Exceptionally humid homes and offices can be vulnerable to mold invasions even if no water damage has occurred. If you see or smell something that could be mold, get a skillful opinion right away.

To get rid of mold, the environment where it thrives must first be removed. Water sources have to be handled, and any residual moisture must be carefully dried out. Only then can mold removal and remediation start.

Whether a dripping roof, burst pipe, or other opening, it isn’t enough to stem the tide. Moisture can drench hidden portions of your home. Without proper cleanup procedures, mold will keep returning to these areas.

If you suspect your home may have black mold, reach out to Paul Davis today. Our team inspects for presence of black mold before remediation. Depend on our contractors to eliminate black mold quickly. Don’t risk your health, get a black mold inspection today.